Environmental education is an increasingly important part of today's educational experience. Increased awareness of the world around us and our impact upon it has spurred numerous programs and movements not only to educate the public but to actively involve the public in the design and implementation of environmental action plans as part of the problem solving process.
This section provides a wide variety of training programs available to educators, students and the general public. This includes college degree programs, classroom materials for grades K-12, informational materials for citizen's of all ages, and opportunities for hands on experience.
The resource links provided in this section have been categorized as follows:
- Training Programs - workshops; seminars; continuing and distance education, certification, web-based, and college degree programs related to environmental topics
- Adaptable Resources - classroom materials for grades K-12; resource catalogues; magazines & newsletters; instructional videos
- General Resources - a broad array of links to on-line materials and organizations; publications (books, fact sheets, research articles)
- Get Involved - links to environmental education facilities; watershed groups; hands-on opportunities for students and adults; water monitoring programs
- Education Grants - funding possibilities for environmental education programs
The PA Department of Education has developed academic standards for the Environment and Ecology. For a pdf version of this document click here. A WORD version of the document is also available. We also have lesson plans to meet some of these standards.
The "Watershed Approach", adopted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to better address the environmental issues unique to individual geographic areas, is not a new concept. However, many Pennsylvanians are still unfamiliar with it. For an in-depth discussion of this unique approach and information related to watersheds in general please visit the links below:
For information directly related to AMD issues, please examine the following sections within this web site: